THE NEW RIVER/DEEP SEA CARGO MOTORSHIP VOLGA-4001
A detailed description is provided of the USSR's river/deep-sea motorship VOLGA 4001. The ship was designed to satisfy a number of requirements aimed at significantly expanding the performance capabilities of future ships. These include the fitting of one of the holds to take on certain classes of hazardous cargoes; extension of the winter navigation season to -23 deg C and the increase of ice category and automation requirements under the USSR Registry of Shipping; and the extension of endurance from 10 to 20 days. In addition, the use of both motor and diesel fuel was stipulated, as was the installation of a bow thruster and of automatic mooring winches, the use of hatch covers with hydraulic drives, and the installation of solid waste incineration equipment.
- Journal article; DTIC distribution restrictions apply
- Zhivotskiy, A A
- Balin, B L
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Ships by motive power; Translations
- Geographic Terms: Former Soviet Union
- Old TRIS Terms: Future ships; Oceangoing river vessels; Vessel descriptions; Volga 4001 (Vessel)
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00658420
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM