The basic concept of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) is first discussed. It is then explained how the system will work, how it will be introduced, what it will cost, and how it will make search and rescue operations more effective. The timetable for implementation is outlined. A table titled "The GMDSS at a Glance" summarizes the system.
- Journal article
- Publication Date: 1989
- Pagination: 3 p.
- IMO News [International Maritime Organization]
- Issue Number: No.1
- Old TRIS Terms: Global maritime distress and safety system; Overviews
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00657855
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM