SOFT-TISSUE INJURIES OF THE NECK IN AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENTS; FACTORS INFLUENCING PROGNOSIS
Five years or more after automobile accidents which caused soft-tissue injuries of the neck in 146 patients who had no pre-existing cervical degenerative changes, evaluation revealed statistically significant positive correlations between poor results and the following findings shortly after injury: numbness or pain, or both, in an upper extremity; shape reversal of the cervical lordosis visible on roentgenograms; restricted motion at one interspace as shown by flexion-extension roentgenograms; need for a cervical collar for more than twelve weeks, or for home traction; and need to resume physical therapy more than once because of recurrence of symptoms. Symptomatic recovery occurred in 57 per cent of the 146 patients, while degenerative changes developed after the injury in 39 per cent. Clinical studies of patients with soft-tissue injuries of the neck have been of little help to clinicians who must make a prognosis. This study was undertaken in an effort to identify the initial or early symptoms and the physical and roentgenographic findings that are important in predicting the results in patients whose initial roentgenograms after injury show no evidence of arthritic changes, narrowing of an intervertebral disc, or spur formation.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/0301620X
- This report was sponsored by the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland and presented at the American Orthopaedic Assoc. Annual Mtg. June 1973, Hot Springs, Va.
- Hohl, M
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- Volume: 56A
- Issue Number: 8
- Publisher: British Editorial Society of Bone and Joint Surgery
- ISSN: 0301-620X
- TRT Terms: Crashes; Forecasting; Identification systems; Injuries; Neck; Physical condition; Whiplash
- Uncontrolled Terms: Identification
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00098842
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Contract Numbers: RR-3
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 18 1975 12:00AM