ORIGINS OF THE "HOT COAL" PROBLEM
The mechanisms for the self heating of coal are examined. Three classes of parameters are identified as determining the susceptibility of a coal to self heating during ocean shipment. The first is the origin and nature of the coal--its rank, sulfur content, methane content, and swell factor. The second is the mining and processing methods employed. Handling and shipping factors are the third, and include stacking and compacting, ambient temperature and external heating, precipitation and elapsed time.
- Conference paper
- Kelley, J H
- Steam Coal Exports
- Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
- Date: 1982-5-24 to 1982-5-25
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 7p.
- Accession Number: 00657671
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM