BIW'S BIG DRY DOCK

When Bath Iron Works (BIW) geared up to help build the Reagan administration's 600-ship Navy, it needed an outfitting and repair facility. It therefore resurrected the ABSD-3 (Advance Base Section Drydock) which was originally commissioned in 1943 and used to repair hundreds of vessels in World War II before its decommissioning in 1945. The drydock was revamped by BIW with state-of-the-art controls and systems. The facility floats on the surface of Portland Harbor, where it is moored to two huge towers. The history of the drydock's war service is briefly reviewed and its current appearance and utilization are discussed. A drawing giving a perspective of the assembled dock illustrates the text. The capacity of the drydock is 10,000 tons per section. Each of its pontoons is 80 feet wide. Side by side, they provide a massive deck some 744 feet long. The space available for berthing between the walls is 134 feet.

  • Supplemental Notes:
    • Journal article
  • Publication Date: 1989-4

Media Info

  • Pagination: 6 p.
  • Serial:
    • Compressed Air
    • Volume: 94
    • Issue Number: No.4
    • Publisher: Compressed Air Magazine Company

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00657184
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM