VS TRACTORS REACH 500 MARK
The first commercial Voith Schneider (VS) water tractor tug propulsion system was introduced in 1955. Its development came in answer to a need for tugs that could offer something significantly different in terms of maneuverability, power and the ability to direct that power. This article does not deal with the principle of the Voith Schneider system, which is by now generally understood. Its purpose is to take a historical look at the development of the system and at the subsequent global spread of its acceptance. As of 1988, the 500th VS tug was under construction. The strongest resistance to it has been encountered among tug owners in the United States.
- Journal article; Voith Schneider
- Publication Date: 1988-9
- Pagination: 2 p.
- Ship and Boat International
- Issue Number: No.88/7
- Publisher: Reed (Thomas) Industrial Press Limited
- Accession Number: 00656029
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM