THE POTENTIAL OF CERAMICS
The advantageous and disadvantageous properties of ceramics are weighed and the potential for their use in engine applications is explored. It is predicted that by the year 2000, ceramics will successfully be competing with metals and alloys. With regard to large marine diesel engines, the thermodynamic advantages gained from ceramic insulation are concluded to be generally marginal. The use of ceramics inside the combustion chamber, however, might prove worthwhile if certain problems that are explained can be overcome.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00475955
- Journal article
- Publication Date: 1988-5
- Pagination: 2 p.
- Marine Engineers Review
- ISSN: 0047-5955
- TRT Terms: Ceramic materials; Combustion chambers; Engines; Heat insulating materials
- Old TRIS Terms: Thermal barriers
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00655560
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM