Narrative reports are presented of highway engineering and construction operations which are not generally regarded as normal or routine. Processes are described for handling erosion pollution conditions during construction, and a pattern is identified in which problems are recognized, methods of control are analyzed, and the necessary control plans are developed. Highway construction operations that contribute to erosion and produce sedimentation, and measures to minimize such effects are described in the paper: Erosion Control During Construction. Cooperative effort in erosion control is discussed in another paper. An economically viable fabric mat for erosion protection is described, as well as a method (economical and speedy) of aerial seeding for establishment of turf. Inexpensive methods of erosion control and sediment collection are reviewed, as well as a means to retard erosion and sedimentation and thereby keep mud out of the waterways. Erosion control methods in Wisconsin are described. The prevention is described of pollution to a feeder pond, as well as stream protection and pollution control at an asphalt pond. Other papers presented here include: Paved Drainage Channel Construction; Erosion Control - Vail Pass, Colorado; Plastic Sheeting for Temporary Erosion Control; Drainage Ditches for Erosion Control; Substitution of Fiber Glass Roving Paved Waterways for Bituminous Paved Waterways; Silt Fences and Brush Barriers; Erosion Control in Hawaii; Temporary Erosion Control by Straw Mulch; Erosion Control in Montana; Erosion Control in Nebraska; Erosion Control in Pennsylvania; Erosion Control in Utah; Sediment Control; and Burlap Embankment Protectors.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 133 p.
- Highway Focus
- Volume: 7
- Issue Number: 1
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Barriers (Roads); Brush control; Cooperation; Ditches; Drainage structures; Erosion control; Fiberglass; Highway engineering; Interdisciplinary studies; Mulches; Planting; Plastics; Pollution; Road construction; Sedimentation; Streams; Turf; Water pollution; Waterways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Brush
- Old TRIS Terms: Interdisciplinary; Stream pollution; Waterways (Watercourses)
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Design; Environment; Highways; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00097753
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 30 1975 12:00AM