ENERGY CARRIERS IN SPACE CONDITIONING AND AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS: A COMPARISON OF HYDROGEN METHANE, METHANOL AND ELECTRICITY
Hydrogen, methane, methanol, and electricity are compared as potential future energy carriers supplying energy for two applications--space conditioning and automobiles. Several methods of employing each energy carrier in each application are investigated. The comparison is based primarily on the net efficiency of energy use and the operating costs (for energy) for each method of utilization which are computed for technology anticipated to be available in the year 2000. Electricity is found to provide the most efficient overall utilization of energy in virtually all cases considered.
- This paper is from the Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, 9th Proceedings.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Davitian, H
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: p. 452-462
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Automobiles; Economic efficiency; Electricity; Energy; Hydrogen; Methane; Methanol; Operating costs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00097736
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE Paper No. 749037
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM