ESTABLISHMENT OF STANDARDS FOR HIGHWAY NOISE LEVELS
A six-volume final report has been submitted of a research effort, the final phase of which summarizes existing noise level information on the characteristics of the motor vehicle noise sources, summarizes the present state of the art in noise control for motor vehicle sources, improves the prediction technique for traffic noise propagation in urban areas, evaluates the economic trade-off considerations of relieving the highway noise problem through control at the source (rather than exclusively through noise control by highway design), and develops recommendations for improved highway noise level design criteria based on greater knowledge of the effects of time-varying noise. Volume 1, "Design Guide for Highway Noise Prediction and Control" pertains mainly to either the development or the presentation of new design guide procedures. Volume 2, "Description and Control of Motor Vehicle Noise Sources," presents findings in terms of the Society of Automotive Engineers acceleration pass-by 50-ft maximum A-weighted sound levels in decibels. Volume 3, "Highway Noise Propagation and Traffic Noise Models," covers six individual studies that provide basic information needed to formulate a model for the prediction of highway traffic noise levels. Volume 4, "Community Measures to Reduce Impact of Highway Noise," which describes studies of techniques for reducing highway noise impacts on neighboring communities by actions taken beyond the right of way. Volume 5, "Economic Evaluation of Highway Noise Reduction Strategies," reports strategies and broad conclusions based on same. Volume 6, "Time-Varying Highway Noise Criteria," indicated that noise levels specified by other criteria for effects of noise on people probably afford a good first approximation to noise levels that may be appropriate for minimizing sleep interference.
- Digital Copy:
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Pagination: 6 p.
- NCHRP Research Results Digest
- Issue Number: 69
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- TRT Terms: Design; Economics; Environmental impacts; Forecasting; Highways; Mathematical models; Motor vehicles; Noise control; Public participation; Sleep; Sound level; Standards; State of the art studies; Traffic noise; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Models
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Environment; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Society;
- Accession Number: 00096473
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM