OPTIMUM DESIGN OF STATICALLY INDETERMINATE FRAMES BY MEANS OF NON-LINEAR PROGRAMMING
This report presents a computer program and numerical examples concerning automated optimum design of statically indeterminate structures with specified configurations. The analysis of the structure is formulated according to the displacement method. Cross-sectional shapes and sizes are selected as free variables. Weight or cost may be selected as object function. Computer times required to solve moderately complex problems may easily become excessive; hence, it is mandatory to seek methods to a ) improve the strategy of the search for the optimum b ) reduce the numerical computations required in each step during the search. Several avenues for further research on these questions are outlined.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborDepartment of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Moe, J
- Publication Date: 1969-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 46 p.
- Issue Number: 023
- TRT Terms: Hulls; Nonlinear programming; Structural analysis; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00007029
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 25 1973 12:00AM