MARITIME TRANSPORT - 1970 AND A REVIEW OF THE 60'S
Chapter I describes international shipping developments during 1970 in the context of national and international shipping policies. The Committee reviewed, inter alia, developments of containerisation and its problems and the Chapter briefly refers to intergovernmental efforts in various organizations toward facilitating container through-transport. Chapter II summarizes developments in the world Tanker and Liner freight markets during 1970 and the early months of 1971. Chapter III reviews the recent trends of shipping demand. Chapter IV examines shipping supply. The chapter analyses the development of the world fleet by type, flag and size, and describes the trends of new construction. Chapter V is an attempt to quantify the major trends of seaborne trade and shipping observed during the last decade. It analyses the relationship of seaborne trade and economic growth and relates sea-borne movements to shipping demand and supply. Estimates of the development of shipping productivity, of the cost of shipping and the prices of shipping services complete the description and it is concluded that increasing vessel sizes and the replacement of tramps by modern bulk carriers were the main factors contributing to the favourable trend of shipping costs during the 'sixties. At the beginning of a new decade, doubts arise whether these factors will remain strong enough in future to stem the tide of the rising costs of ship operation.
- This Report covers developments of topical interest in the field of shipping during 1970 and, wherever possible the early part of 1971. Forty tables of statistics are included. Report done by Maritime Transport Committee of OECD.
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development2001 L Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20036
- Publication Date: 1971
- Pagination: 143 p.
- Maritime Transport Committee
- Publisher: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development
- TRT Terms: Economics; Freight traffic; International trade; Markets; Policy; Productivity; Shipping; Trade restrictions
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight markets; International shipping policies; Shipping economics; Shipping trends
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00028654
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 10 1973 12:00AM