LARGE-SCALE TESTS OF TUNNEL SUPPORTS
Several types of tunnel supports are being investigated experimentally and analytically at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign under the sponsorship of the Federal Railroad Administration, Department of Transportation. The results of work on two types are discussed here. These are steel sets and continuous, monolithic steel-fiber-reinforced concrete liners. The latter is a model of a short length of liner that might result from a continuous slipforming operation in a tunnel excavated with a boring machine. Tests have been performed on both types of support and analyses are being developed which will greatly broaden the scope of the test program. The objective of these studies is to improve the understanding of basic behavior of these supports, and to develop techniques for their analysis.
- Paul, S L
- Publication Date: 1974-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete structures; Excavations; Fiber reinforced concrete; Tunnel lining; Tunneling
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00095276
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 24 1975 12:00AM