THE MOVEMENT OF ARCTIC LANDFAST ICE--ITS MEASUREMENT AND INFLUENCE ON OFFSHORE DRILLING
Discusses the effect of ice movement, types of ice motion, formation and extent of fast ice, techniques for measuring motion of fast ice with reference to the shore and to the seabed using wire reel and telemetry systems. Briefly reviews how the motions of land fast ice can influence offshore resource development. Because the way the projects described in this paper have been sponsored no details are given of the movements which have been measured. Further details of the equipment can be made available on request.
- Paper available only as part of the complete Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering Under Arctic Conditions (POAC), August 27-30, 1973.
Iceland UniversityDepartment of Engineering and Science
- Croasdale, K R
- Publication Date: 1973-8
- Pagination: p. 617-636
- TRT Terms: Drift ice; Drilling; Force; Ice; Ice formations; Loads; Motion; Offshore drilling platforms; Offshore oil industry; Pack ice; Sea ice
- Geographic Terms: Arctic Regions
- Old TRIS Terms: Arctic drilling; Fast ice; Ice fields; Ice forces on structures; Ice loads; Ice movement
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00095029
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Arctic Institute of North America
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 19 1975 12:00AM