LAPLACE'S TIDAL EQUATIONS REVISITED
Laplace's tidal equations (LTE) and their consequences, including Kelvin's planar model and Rossby's beta-plane model, are reviewed. Both surface waves and internal waves are considered and are shown to be independent in Laplace's approximation. The limit process implicit in LTE, after their extension to allow for vertical structure, is discussed. It is shown that the Coriolis acceleration associated with the horizontal component of the planetary rotation which is neglected in LTE, induces a coupling between surface and internal waves with periods longer than twelve bours.
- US Natl Congr of Applied Mechanics, 7th Proceeding, Lecture, Abstr of Paper, University of Colo, Boulder, Jan 3-7, 1974.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Miles, J W
- Publication Date: 1974-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: p. 27-28
- TRT Terms: Electromagnetic spectrum; Gravity waves; Internal waves; Rayleigh waves
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00097578
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 24 1975 12:00AM