THE DATA BASE: THE POTENTIAL FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION IN NINE SELECTED INDUSTRIES. VOLUME 3: CEMENT. FIRST EDITION
The purpose of this study, contained in nine separate volumes, was to provide basic data on energy consumption in industry and to identify opportunities for energy conservation. Each volume is organized into 4 sections: section 1 is an introduction, section 2 describes the methodology employed in the study, section 3 contains executive summary tables of energy consumption data for each of the nine industries examined, and section 4 analyzes the data collected for one specific industry. Volume 3 describes the processing sequences used to manufacture portland cement and presents the energy consumption per short ton of cement produced. The calculations are based on published information, and therefore represent typical industry consumption and do not necessarily correspond to any specific plant. By resource type, the overall cement manufacturing process primary fuel consumption is strongly dependent on coal and natural gas. Based on the 60.4/39.6 split for cement production by the wet and dry processes respectively in 1970, the weighted average cost of energy used in making one ton of cement amounts to $3.18. The corresponding average value of portland cement is $17.50 per ton. Two items of particular interest are discussed: energy for size reduction (electricity for grinding raw materials and clinker) and kiln energy use.
- Prepared by Gordian Associates, Incorporated.
Federal Energy AdministrationOffice of Industrial Programs, 12th & Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC USA 20461
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 126 p.
- TRT Terms: Cement kilns; Coal; Conservation; Consumption; Costs; Energy; Fuel consumption; Grinding; Industries; Natural gas; Ovens; Portland cement; Production; Tables (Data)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Finance; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00099484
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FEA-182-D
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 10 1975 12:00AM