A BRIEF SURVEY OF RAILROADS OF SELECTED INDUSTRIAL COUNTRIES
In 1893, 1915, 1935 and presently with substantial segments of the U.S. railroad industry in bankruptcy, nationalization of the entire system has been urged. Deteriorating financial and physical condition of American railroads is contrasted with "well run" foreign railroads which are government owned and operated. To assist in a review of foreign railroads, Union Pacific has updated for the second time its survey of nationalized rail systems of selected industrial countries. This revision focuses on 1973, but provides relevant data on the four prior years to give prespective. Separate comparative data is included for UP, Penn Central Transportation, Amtrak, and U.S. Class I railroads collectively. While accounting differs, it appears nationalized systems compare unfavorably with privately owned systems.
Union Pacific Railroad Company345 Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10022
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Economic analysis; Nationalization; Profitability; Railroads
- Identifier Terms: Amtrak; Canadian National; Canadian National Railways; Canadian Pacific; Nihon kokuyu tetsudo; Penn Central Transportation Company; Spoornet; Union Pacific Railroad
- Geographic Terms: Europe
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00099209
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1975 12:00AM