COMPUTER IMPLEMENTATION OF THE CONSTRAINT METHOD
A computer program based on the constraint method approach to finite elements is described. The program permits the user to select arbitrarily polynomial orders for the various fields to be approximated. A set of nodal variables enforcing C sub 1 continuity for arbitrary polynomial order is presented, and those aspects of the program algorithm which differ from conventional finite element programs are described, including the numerical determination of a set of independent variables. An example is presented and the results obtained by the constraint method program compared with results from a conventional program. The constraint method approach is seen to be competitive with the conventional approach.
- The Association of American Railroads, AMCAR Division of ACF Industries, Inc., and Pullman-Standard, a Division of Pullman Inc. Provided for partial funding of this project.
Washington University, St LouisSt Louis, MO United States 63130
- Rossow, M P
- Lee, J C
- Chen, K C
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Finite element method; Mathematical models; Structural analysis; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00099177
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Department of Transportation
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-OS-30108-3 Tech. Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-30108
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 27 1975 12:00AM