INVENTORY OF FREIGHT TRANSPORTATION IN THE SOUTHWES/PART I. MAJOR USERS OF TRANSPORTATION IN THE DALLAS-FORT WORTH AREA
Forty one representative major users of transportation selected from 3,184 manufacturing units in the Dallas-Fort Worth area were surveyed in an effort designed to examine the existing freight Transportation System, develop forecasts for future demands on the system, and develop recommendations for the improvement of the system. The major categories surveyed are: food and kindred products, fabricated metal products, apparel and fabricated textile products, and machinery (except electrical). The nature and scope of operation of selected industries is examined, the volume and patterns of goods movement are analyzed, and several variables are utilized in evaluating the service provided by private, contract and motor common carriers. The report indicates a trend toward increasing use of motor transportation and of private carriage. Manufacturers and distributors rely on motor common carriers and railroads more for inbound shipments than for outbound. Long distance outbound shipments tend to move by motor common carrier and by rail. Many of the outbound shipments from the area are made in less-than-truck load quantities. The study also revealed a preference for contract carriers.
University of Texas, AustinCouncil for Advanced Transportation Studies
Austin, TX United States 78712
- ROBINSON, E
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 70 p.
- TRT Terms: Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Industries; Inventory; Level of service; Machinery; Motor carriers; Needs assessment; Railroad transportation; Recommendations; Textiles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Service; User needs
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00099171
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-75-29 Res. Rept.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-30093
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 5 1975 12:00AM