TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS OF THE MENTALLY RETARDED
Inadequate travel training and institutional isolation affects retarded individuals' awareness of job, shopping and recreational opportunities. This study identifies the mobility problems experienced by the educable retarded; develops a basic curriculum guide for the teaching of their travel and transportation awareness; and suggests changes in public and private transit usage that would alleviate some of the difficulties. Specifically, residents of the Austin State School Annex Campus, Austin, Texas were surveyed as to their everyday utilization of predominantly intra-city public and private transportation.
University of Texas, AustinCouncil for Advanced Transportation Studies
Austin, TX United States 78712
- DAVIES, S
- Carley, J W
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Awareness; Education; Mobility; Needs assessment; Persons with disabilities; Private transportation; Public transit; Transportation
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00099135
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 17 Res. Rept.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 5 1981 12:00AM