A DESCRIPTION OF THE APPLICATION OF FACTOR ANALYSIS TO LAND USE CHANGE IN METROPOLITAN AREAS
This study of the effects of changes in land utilization where a large transport investment in committed to a specific metropolitan area (the Dallas-Fort Worth Regional Airport and the sorrounding metroplex), is accomplished by investigating the percentage change in each census variable over a time period beginning prior to investment decisions and covering the following decade. Four hundred and fifty census tract variables are chosen as indicators of land use activities and changes. Using an R-mode factor analytical procedure, 1960 census characteristics are plotted against census tracts. Five separate passes at the information are reported. Seven independent factors are delineated for each factor run. Eigen-values, percent of total variance and communality scores of 0.90 and above are included for each of the four runs. Each of the seven factors per run set are identified together with reasons explaining their identification, and comments are expressed. A reduced diagram of results lists five separate factor runs on the 1960 data, the resulting factor names and percent of total variance is explanied. The results verify the traditional delineations of data patterning, i.e. black ethnicity, socio-economic status, and stage in life cycle, except for a strong indication of economic attractiveness. This last factor is expected to play a major role in the 1970 census factor run evaluations. It will be compared with variables which load significantly on a similar factor for 1970 data. This "economic vitality" measure could help structure a point of comparison between airport-related urban growth and normal, pre-existing growth trends.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0036558
University of Texas, AustinCouncil for Advanced Transportation Studies
Austin, TX USA 78712
- Sparks, J
- Gregory, C
- Montemayor, J
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 76 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Census; Eigenvalues; Ethnic groups; Factor analysis; Impact studies; Land use; Life span; Socioeconomic factors; Transportation; Urban areas; Urban development; Variables
- Old TRIS Terms: Total analysis
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00098925
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 00 36558
- Report/Paper Numbers: Res. Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT OS 30093
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM