RAILROAD ACCIDENT REPORT: COLLISION OF PENN CENTRAL FREIGHT TRAIN OV-8 WITH AN OPEN DRAWBRIDGE, CLEVELAND, OHIO, MAY 8, 1974
On May 8, 1974, Penn Central freight train OV-8 collided with the counterweight of a lift-span drawbridge on the Cuyahoga River at Cleveland, Ohio. Shortly before the collision, the eastbound train had been traveling at 33 mph on a main track equipped with automatic block signals when the DB operator contacted the traincrew and advised them that the route was clear ahead. Then, the operator remembered that a boat had been awaiting passage and, without informing the traincrew, he opened the bridge. The train passed the red home signal of the DB interlocking without braking and struck the counterweight of the open bridge about 600 feet beyond the signal. The two crewmembers in the lead locomotive unit died as a result of crash injuries. The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the failure of the locomotive crewmembers to obey a wayside signal indication to stop and the concurrent opening of the drawbridge by the DB operator after he had advised the oncoming traincrew by radio that the route was clear. Contributing to the accident was the absence of specific rules that either prohibited such a radio message or described the circumstances under which such a radio transmittal could be accepted as an operational control.
- This report contains Safety Recommendations R-75-11 through R-75-15.
National Transportation Safety BoardOffice of Surface Transportation Safety
Washington, DC USA 20594
- Publication Date: 1975-3-26
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic train stop system; Collisions; Crash reports; Crashes; Drawbridges; Fatalities; Operating rules; Traffic signal control systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Signal systems
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00098678
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Transportation Safety Board
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB-RAR-75-3, SS-R-29
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1976 12:00AM