RAILROAD ACCIDENT REPORT: LONG ISLAND RAILROAD COMPANY DOOR ACCIDENT, HUNTINGTON STATION, NEW YORK, DECEMBER 1, 1974
At 9:48 a.m., e.s.t., December 1, 1974, a man was killed as a Long Island Rail Road commuter train departed Huntington Station, N.Y. The victim had attempted to exit the standing train, but he was initially trapped between two sliding doors as they closed on him. This kept the doors open far enough for the door power-interlock to prevent the engineer from starting the train. When the man succeeded in moving the upper part of his body to the outside, the doors closed and locked on his right ankle, enabling the train to start. Since none of the crewmembers had observed the victim's entrapment, the conductor gave the "all clear" signal, and the engineer started the train. The victim was dragged backward off the platform; there, he contacted the third rail and was electrocuted. The conductor, who was alerted by a person outside the train and by a passenger, signaled the engineer; who stopped the train after it had travelled approximately 180 feet. The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the design of the sliding doors which permitted the train to be moved without a positive means for detecting the presence of a person caught between the doors. Contributing to the cause were: a. Absence of procedures that required the conductor to monitor visually all doors. b. The lack of knowledge on the part of passengers in regard to the means available to respond to the emergency.
- This report contains Railroad Safety Recommendations R-75-23 and R-75-24.
National Transportation Safety BoardOffice of Surface Transportation Safety
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1975-4-30
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Commuter service; Crash investigation; Crashes; Disasters and emergency operations; Door handles; Emergency brakes; Fatalities; Railroad stations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Electrocution; Emergency procedures
- Old TRIS Terms: Door operating mechanisms
- Subject Areas: Passenger Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00098676
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Transportation Safety Board
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB-RAR-75-5
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM