1972 CENSUS OF CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRIES
The census information presented here covers all establishments primarily engaged in contract construction (general contractors or special trade contractors), or in construction for sale on their own account (operative builders), or in subdividing real property into lots (subdividers and developers, except cementeries) as defined in the 1972 edition of the Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Manual. The census was conducted on an establishment basis and respondents were allowed to use any system of accounting by which they maintained their books. Thus, reports could be based on cash, accrual, or completion of contract methods of accounting. The construction firms covered were divided into employers (firms with payroll) and non employers (firms with no payroll). Details are given of developing the sampling frame, selecting the employer sample, and the estimating procedure. Other aspects described include the census report forms, the processing of the data, geographic classifications, confidentiality of data and tabulation. A figure illustrates construction receipts by state, and tables are presented of the following: general statistics by geographic area for establishments with Payroll-1972 and 1967; data for 1972 showing composition of New Standard Industrial Classification Industries based on old Standard Industrial Classification; detailed statistics for establishment with payroll - 1972 and 1967; selected statistics by employment size; selected statistics by total recepts size of establishments; construction receipts by type of construction and industry; construction receipts showing distribution by class of construction and by ownership of construction projects; number of employees by type for selected periods, and payroll, by geographic areas; participation in construction work in home state and in distribution by location on construction work.
Bureau of the CensusGeneral Federal Office Building
Suitland, MD United States 20233
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Features: Appendices; Tables;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Accounting; Census; Classification; Construction and maintenance personnel; Construction industry; Contractors; Developers; Employment; Estimating; Geography; Manuals; Ownership; Real property; Reports; Road construction; Salaries; Sampling; Statistics; Tables (Data)
- Old TRIS Terms: Building trades
- Subject Areas: Construction; Data and Information Technology; Finance; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00098654
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CC72-1-6
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 10 1975 12:00AM