MUMERICAL ANAPYSIS OF EMBANKMENT OVER SOFT SOILS
A computer program, SSOILS, for analyzing displacements of embankments over soft soils is presented. Background development research, both experimental and numerical, utilizing plane strain test chambers coordinated with numerical experimentation, is discussed in the early chapters of the study. The final chapter (7) of the study is essentially self contained and is written for the user who must rely on standard soil tests to obtain input data for the computer program. Immediate (or initial) displacement, and time dependent displacement of settlement due to 2.D consolidation and creep can be accounted for by the program; however, users must become familiar with the program and interpretation of soil test data (for input data) in order to make good use of the program as an aid to the engineering analysis of embankment behavior over soft soils. An implementation phase is presented in which displacements of the Raceland-Gibson shell embankment test section of relacted U.S 90 in South Louisiana are computed and compared to displacements measured by research personnel of the Louisiana Department of Highways. Good agreement is obtained for initial displacements, however, computed versus observed rates of settlement diverge in the early post construction time period. Values of displacement after six months are in relatively good agreement, but effects due to dynamic loading and the use of clam shell in the prototype embankment construction are relatively unknown and raise questions about the validity of such comparisons.
- Study sponsored by the Louisiana Department of Highways, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Louisiana State University, Baton RougeDivision of Engineering Research
Baton Rouge, LA United States 70803
- Thoms, R L
- Pacquet, R A
- Arman, A
- Publication Date: 1973-10-17
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 195 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Consolidations; Creep; Dislocation (Geology); Embankments; Ground settlement; Numerical analysis; Soft soils; Soil tests
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00098557
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: 69-35
- Contract Numbers: 736-01-31
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1975 12:00AM