EARTHWORK REINFORCEMENT TECHNIQUES
This report respresents the basic theory, design, construction, instrumentation and field data for the reinforced earth fill constructed on California State Highway 39, Los Angeles County. Design equations for designing the reinforcing strip and the skin plate were developed. The calculated stresses based on the design equations agree reasonably well with the field data. Theoretical analysis by the finite element method based on composite elastic properties of the soil and the steel reinforcement was conducted. The distribution patterns of the analyzed steel stresses generally agree with the measured data but with some discrepancies in magnitude. Also presented are corrosion studies and cost comparisons between the reinforced earth wall and three other types of retaining wall. Presented in the Appendix are the derivation of equiations for designing the skin plate; the analysis of the composite material properties of reinforced earth; the User's Manual and list of the finite element computer programs.
- Prepared in cooperation with FHWA.
5900 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA USA 95819
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Chang, J C
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 301 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Corrosion; Costs; Deformation curve; Eccentricity; Elasticity (Mechanics); Fills; Finite element method; Loads; Reinforcement (Engineering)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Eccentric loading
- Old TRIS Terms: Stress distribution (Soils)
- Subject Areas: Finance; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00098540
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CA-DOT-2116-9-74-37 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: D-4-93
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 1976 12:00AM