COMPUTER ANALYSIS OF GENERAL SLOPE STABILITY PROBLEMS
A computer program, named STABL, for performing limiting equilibrium analyses by the method of slices for general slope stability problems has been developed. A discussion of previously available theories and programs precedes the presentation of the model of stability analysis used in this research and its computer simulation. The program can handle slope profiles having multiple slope ground surfaces. Any arrangement of subsurface soil sypes having different soil properties can be specified. Pore pressures may be related to a steady state flow domain, related to the oberburden, or specified within zones. Surcharge boundary loads and pseudo-static earthquake loadings are also considered. Three trail shear surface generators have been developed to generate surfaces either of circular shape, of general irregular shape, or of specified character such as sliding blocks. Restrictions may be imposed to generate only surfaces of interest. Graphical output provides means for checking input and for quick evaluation of results. Print character plots are processed on line printers or teletype terminals. Plotting devices provides plots of higher resolution. The program has been written in Fortran IV source language, and is routinely used on Purdue University's Computing Center's Control Data Corporation 6500 computer. With full plotting capabilities 66K octal of core storage is required for execution. Program length is 6000+ statements including components. Another version is being modified for use at the Indiana State Highway Commission's Computer Center's IBM 360 facility.
- This report was prepared in cooperation with the Indiana State Highway Commission.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907-1284
- Siegel, R A
- Publication Date: 1975-6-4
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 113 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Equilibrium (Mechanics); Method of slices; Pore pressure; Properties of materials; Shape; Slope stability; Soils; Surfaces
- Uncontrolled Terms: Soil properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Plotting
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00098537
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1975 12:00AM