NORWALK BUS TRANSPORTATION STUDY
This report seeks to review the existing bus system of Norwalk, Connecticut and how it evolved, and then to offer a series of four alternative courses of action that will provide adequate levels of transit service to Norwalk citizens. Structured so that they can be phased in sequence, these alternatives can be presented separately in such a way that combinations of features can be made to form new alternatives which may be more responsive to local inputs. The four alternatives proposed are: (1) preserve existing bus service; (2) Traditional transit improvements; (3) Norwalk local system (This would eliminate intercity service by local bus transit to enable concentration of resources in Norwalk and in other neighboring cities with local bus systems. The intercity traveler would use the railroad or anticipate new service by an intercity bus carrier.); (4) New concept approach for comprehensive transit improvement. (Two types of service would be structured to complement one another; the bus subsystem is point to point; major traffic generators would be connected along a corridor. The taxi element of the system is continuous point to point service for trips originating and terminating in neighborhoods beyond the scope of the spine bus route. Chapters include the 5 year transit development program, existing transit system, bus passenger survey, recommendations, findings and implementation.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/IT090014
- This report was sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration, Department of Transportation.
Tri-State Regional Planning Commission100 Church Street
New York, NY United States 10007
- Publication Date: 1973-1
- Pagination: 110 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Intercity transportation; Local transportation; Subsystems; Taxicabs; Traffic; Transportation planning; Trip generation
- Old TRIS Terms: Local traffic; Substitutes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00098516
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- ISBN: IT-09-0014
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-09-0014-73-1Tech. Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 1981 12:00AM