EFFECTS OF EXTERNAL STIFFENERS ON THE VENTILATION, FORCE AND CAVITATION CHARACTERISTICS OF A SURFACE-PIERCING HYDROFOIL STRUT
Ventilation, force & cavitation characteristics of a 2-foot chord strut fitted with external stiffeners were determined. The stiffener configuration was patterned after the aft struts of a PHM craft. The strut evaluation was concerned with the effect of the stiffeners on the strut and the effect due to modifications of the stiffeners. Experimental results show that the bare stiffeners increase drag and cause considerable local cavitation but have little effect on the ventilation angle. A modification to the stiffeners is shown that should decrease stiffener drag, virtually eliminate local cavitation at the leading edge of the stiffener, and increase strut ventilation angle by a small increment.
Naval Ship Research and Development CenterShip Performance Department
Bethesda, MD United States 20034
- Layne, D E
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Hydrofoil boats; Hydrofoils; Struts; Ventilation systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Cavitating hydrofoils; Hydrofoil craft; Ventilated hydrofoils
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00098502
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SPD-621-01 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM