TRI-LEVEL STUDY OF THE CAUSES OF TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS: INTERIM REPORT I
This is the final report of the first year of activity under a proposed three-year-program entitled. "Tri-Level Study of the Causes of Traffic Accidents." This study has been performed by the Indiana University Institute for Research in Public Safety (IRPS) under contract to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (Contract No. DOT-HS-034-3-535). The report covers the period August 15, 1972 to August 14, 1973. Data were collected on three levels of detail. Police reports and other baseline data on the Monroe County, Indiana study area were collected on Level A. On Level B, teams of technicians responded to accidents at the time of their occurrence to conduct on-scene investigations. On Level C, a sample of 22% of these accidents were independently examined by a multidisciplinary team. A general population survey was also conducted. The report is presented in nine major sections: 1.0, Introduction; 2.0, Methodology Overview; 3.0, Findings Regarding Accident Causes; 4.0, Accident and Control Sample Comparisions; 5.0, Cluster Analysis; 6.0, Problem Driver Identification; 7.0, Analysis of Study Sample Representativeness; 8.0, Conclusions; and 9.0, Recommendations (Volume I). Principle data collection forms are included in Appendices B and C (Volume II). This is Volume I of a two-volume report, covering study findings. Appendices are presented in Volume II.
- Study sponsored by the National Highway traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C.
Indiana University, BloomingtonInstitute for Research in Public Safety
Bloomington, IN USA 47401
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 668 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash analysis; Crash causes; Crash reports; Data collection; Multidisciplinary teams; On the scene crash investigation; Traffic crashes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00098463
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council Safety Research Info Serv
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-H50343535-73-TAC
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-034-3-535
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1975 12:00AM