PUBLIC COMPLIANCE WITH TRAFFIC SIGN COMMANDS
SKILTRESPEKT. EN ENKEL UNDERSOKELSE AV BILISTENES KJOREATFERD VED TI ULIKE FORBUDSSKILT.
This is a study of drivers' observance of ten different prohibitory traffic signs in 1971. Observance of traffic signs is defined in this report as not to violate the rules that are symbolized by the sign. The percentage of drivers who drove in accordance with the rules was used as a measure of sign observance. For some signs it is necessary to observe driver behavior both before and after the sign is erected, or when the rules do not apply. This was done with three signs: C, 1a "No Entry", C, 12 "No U-turns" and C, 19 "Standing and Parking Prohibited". Sign C, 1a No Entry 98%; Sign C, 19 Standing & Parking Prohibited 84%; Sign C, 12 No U-turns 23%; Sign B, 2b Stop 57%; Sign C, 18 Parking Prohibited 65%; Sign C, 14 Speed Limit 50 km 78%; Sign C, 14 Speed Limit 60 km 86%; Sign C, 14 Speed LImit 70 km 91%; Sign C, 14 Speed Limit 80 km 85%; Sign C, 14 Speed Limit 90 km 84%.
Utvalg for TrafikksikkerhetsforskningOslo, Norway
- Amundsen, F H
- Pedersen, T O
- Publication Date: 1972-4
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile drivers; Behavior; Drivers; Traffic signs
- Old TRIS Terms: Traffic sign observance
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00098447
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council Safety Research Info Serv
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 18 1975 12:00AM