EROSION EVALUATION STUDY
This final report is concerned with the Erosion Evaluation Study which was to develop a tentative laboratory procedure by which new chemical additives or mulches for retarding soil erosion can be evaluated. The field phase of the study was also to determine the effectiveness of the various agents tested on seed germination, grass stand growth and control or retardation of soil erosion. The laboratory phase of the study was concerned with the development of a tentative laboratory test procedure to test and evaluate these erosion agents, thereby eliminating less promising ones so that the better ones could be further tested in the field. In coducting the laboratory phase of the study, a rainfall-simulator was designed and constructed. Operation and evaluation of the rainfall- simulator was successful and a tentative laboratory test procedure was developed. The degree of effectiveness of the various erosion control products tested was determined both in the field and in the laboratory, with a general relationship between the laboratory and field testing ascertained. Conclusions were made in this report as to the relative capabilities of some of the products and also conclusions were made as to the practicability of using the tentative laboratory test procedure and construction details of the rainfall-simulator. Recommendations were made as to the construction of a rainfall-simulator and in addition a tentative test procedure was recommended. /FHWA/
- Record URL:
- Prepared in cooperation with FHWA.
Louisiana Department of HighwaysP.O. Box 44245, Capitol Station
Baton Rouge, LA United States 70804
Bureau of Public Roads /US400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Law, S M
- Vaccaro, S J
- Publication Date: 1974-6
- Pagination: 82 p.
- TRT Terms: Erosion; Erosion control; Field tests; Grasses; Laboratory tests; Mulches; Rain; Simulation; Soil stabilization; Soils; Test procedures; Vegetation
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00098419
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 69-4M
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 2003 12:00AM