STUDY OF CLAY SHALE SLOPES ALONG THE PANAMA CANAL. REPORT 2: HISTORY, GEOLOGY, AND MECHANICS OF DEVELOPMENT OF SLIDES IN GAILLARD CUT. VOLUME 2: PLATES OF MAPS AND SECTIONS
The maps and sections herein are almost entirely new illustrations prepared by combining previous, fragmentary records from several sources with geology and conditions mapped systematically along the canal bank in the present study. The maps in Plates 1-21 show rock units, soils, faults, slide areas, borings, and topography for Gailland Cut as of the spring of 1971. Emphasis during mapping was on physical and structural characteristics, so lithological mapping units were used. The maps also show formational contacts to assist in relating detailed lithological information with the more conventional formational classes. The detailed cross sections of Plates 22-49 were prepared with relatively little interpretation and modifications beyond the initial sources. Thus, the boring logs are simplified but remain in the same terms used in the original logs. The last group of illustrations in Volume II consists of detailed topographical and slide limit maps (Plates 50-66). These maps are intended to supplement the detailed cross sections of Plates 22-49 by providing plan views of slide development at important times in slide history. The Plates are described in detail in Volume I (Text).
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS United States 39180-6199
- Lutton, R J
- Hunt, R W
- Murphy, W L
- STEWART, R H
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Boring; Canals; Clay; Excavations; Faults; General surface features of the earth; Geological surveying; Geology; History; Landslides; Mapping; Maps; Records management; Shale; Slopes; Soil mechanics; Topography
- Old TRIS Terms: Geologic mapping; Geologic sections; Geological faults
- Subject Areas: Finance; Geotechnology; Highways; History; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00098294
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: S-70-9-Vol-2 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 1975 12:00AM