A METHOD FOR THE SEPARATION OF OIL FROM AN AQUEOUS OIL DETERGENT SOLUTION PRIOR TO IR ANALYSIS
A procedure was devised to permit the analysis of oil in water solutions in the presence of dissolved detergents using the CCl4 extraction-IR spectro-photometric method. After an initial extraction of the aqueous oil detergent solution with CCl4, the extract was evaporated on a slica gel column and eluted with CCl4. This procedure effectively removed all the detergent and allowed an interference-free analysis of the CCl4-oil solution with the IR-spectrophotometer. About 10% of the initial oil was lost in the procedure.
Naval Ordnance LaboratoryIndian Head, MD USA 20640
- ADAMS, C E
- Publication Date: 1974-7-19
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills
- Uncontrolled Terms: Oil separators
- Old TRIS Terms: Oil recovery systems
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00098251
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NOLTR 74-102
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM