WIND TUNNEL STUDIES OF A SHIP MODEL USING VORTEX GENERATORS TO IMPROVE WAKE VELOCITIES
During trials of a 13,000 ton displacement cargo ship severe vibration occurred which was attributed to the propeller working in a strongly non-uniform velocity field. This report gives the results of a series of wind tunnel experiments performed on a reflex model fitted with vortex generators which substantially improved the wake velocity distribution. It was recommended that these generators be geometrically scaled and fitted to the ship in order to improve the wake velocity distribution and reduce the vibration of the ship to an acceptable level.
Aeronautical Research LaboratoriesLarimer Street, Fisherman's Bend
Melbourne SC7, Victoria, Australia
- Matheson, N
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Measurement; Velocity; Vibration; Wakes; Wind tunnels
- Old TRIS Terms: Velocity profiles; Vibration measurement; Wake measurement
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00098232
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ARL/A-247
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 1975 12:00AM