CABLE STRUMMING EXPERIMENTS
Preliminary cable strumming experiments were conducted in an ocean field test. The measured average amplitudes were in the range 0.12-0.47 of the cable diameter and the measured values of Strouhal number were in the range 0.3-0.7. Tests were also conducted on cables with anti-strumming fairings. One of the fairings essentially eliminated strumming but the drag was very high.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Ocean Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
- Davis, N B
- Jessup, S D
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Cables; Drag; Fairings
- Old TRIS Terms: Cable drag; Cable fairings; Vibrating cables
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00098215
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 74-19 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-67-A0204-0084
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM