THE OUTLOOK FOR TIMBER IN THE UNITED STATES
This report on the Nation's timber supply and demand situation and outlook relates primarily to the 500 million acres of commercial timberland in the United States that are suitable for production of timber crops. Implications of comparisons of prospective timber supplies and demands presented in this report are clear--demands for lumber, plywood, woodpulp and other products are increasing more rapidly than available supplies. This can only mean rising prices for timber and timber products. The analysis is as of 1970 and outlook under a number of economic and management alternatives if given. Statistical data cover area and condition of forest land, inventories of standing timber and timber growth and removals by state. Trends in forest resources, in utilization and in consumption of wood products are shown.
US Forest Service1400 Independence Avemue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20250
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Features: Appendices; Tables;
- Pagination: 374 p.
- TRT Terms: Forecasting; Forest products; Freight traffic; Lumber; Lumber industry; Railroad ties; Supply; Timber; Traffic forecasting; Wood products; Wood ties
- Old TRIS Terms: Timber supply; Wooden cross ties
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00098085
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRR-20
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM