DECADE OF DECISION - TERMINALS. REPORT OF TASK FORCE I TO THE LABOR AND MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
In March 1970, the Labor and Management Committee accepted an offer by the Secretary of Transportation for assistance in their efforts to resolve joint labor-management problems in the railroad industry. Before any significant projects could be undertaken, it was first necessary to identify the problems, especially those affecting service to shippers and the industry's ability to compete for a larger share at the transportation market. It was agreed that most of the problems occur at terminals, so Task Force I of the Labor and Management Committee was established with the following objectives: (1) To identify major terminal problems; and (2) To recommend solutions to these problems. After nine months of study, Task Force I reported its findings and recommendations to the Labor and Management Committee which are contained in this report. Eleven major problem areas affecting railroad terminal operations were identified. Task Force I recommended that a major program of pilot studies be organized and directed at improved terminal operations. They would deal in these three areas: (1) Improved information flow between terminals; (2) Improved terminal facilities; and (3) Study of changes in rules, rates and agreements on terminal operations. Each of these tasks should be made in a separate yard in order that there can be a comparison of the effects of changes in each of the elements on yard operations. As a result of the report by Task Force I to the Labor and Management Committee, Task Force I was reconstituted as the Task Force on Terminals for the purpose of setting up and managing pilot studies in the three problem areas.
- This project was co-sponsored by Illinois Central Gulf Railroad in cooperation with FRA.
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Collins, D W
- Publication Date: 1971-4-23
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Development; Freight terminals; Information systems; Intermodal terminals; Labor unions; Research; Yard operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies; Yard and terminal information systems
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Research; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00098084
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM