INFLUENCE OF TESTING CONDITIONS ON CREEP BEHAVIOR OF CLAY
The excavation of an underground opening produces changes in the state of stress which cause deformations composed of both time-dependent and time-independent components. In some soils and rocks the time-dependent component of deformation is large. Internal structural supports are provided to limit the creep displacements, resulting in an increase in the radial stresses acting on the supports. The increase depends on the creep propensity of the soil or rock. A creep testing system (CTS) is developed to simultaneously perform four consolidated-undrained triaxial creep tests on cylindrical specimens. The CTS consists of: triaxial cells; lever-arm loading mechanisms; cell pressure-control panel board; temperature-control water baths; load, pore pressure and deformation measuring devices; and data logger system. The testing program consists of a series of twenty five step-type creep tests which were performed on samples of kaolinite and slaked Cucaracha clay-shale. The influence of testing conditions, such as loading procedure, magnitude of consolidation pressure, overconsolidation and secondary compression, on the creep behavior of clays was investigated.
- This was sponsored by Federal Railroad Administration, DOT.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL United States 61801-2352
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Febres-cordero, E
- Mesri, G
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 232 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Clay; Creep; Deformation; Excavation and tunneling; Excavations; Geological events; Instrumentation; Measurement; Pressure; Rock mechanics; Soil mechanics; Soils; Soils by consistency; Stresses; Subsoil; Testing; Tests; Tunneling; Unstable soil
- Old TRIS Terms: Geological conditions; Pressure measurements; Soil creep; Subsoil analysis
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00098072
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-ORD&D-75-29 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30022
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM