DETERMINATION OF MOMENT-OF-INERTIA BY EXPERIMENTAL METHODS
This paper discusses the priniciple of several available methods to experimentally find moments-of-inertia of parts for a variety of sizes and shapes. The methods are discussed briefly and one application for finding the moment-of-inertia of a snowmobile is explained in detail. The method has advantages in being capable of locating the center-of-gravity in three dimensions and finding the moment-of-inertia about one axis without moving the object with respect to platform. Acceptable accuracies are obtained without excessive expense or time.
- Presented at the meeting held April 21-24, 1975.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Newhouse, T C
- Pavelic, V
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Center of gravity; Moments of inertia; Tests; Train track dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental design
- Old TRIS Terms: Moment of inertia
- Subject Areas: Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00098017
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: #75-DE-29
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM