HIGHWAY 401 FREEWAY TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT SYSTEM: INCIDENT MANAGEMENT PLAN
The purpose of this study was to develop an effective Incident Management Plan (IMP) for Highway 401 in Metropolitan Toronto. This IMP is intended to be implemented in conjunction with the Freeway Traffic Management System (FTMS) on Highway 401 in order to enhance its capabilities. For the purpose of this report incidents are defined as non-recurring problems on the freeway which have a duration of at least two minutes. The scope of this report includes: Potential benefits of Incident Management (IM); Estimation of the number and frequency of general types of incidents and responses; Assessment of existing operations; Assessment of current IM operations in other cities; Development of alternative IM strategies; Identification and description of a preferred strategy of IM; and, Development of a preliminary implementation schedule. This report is based on a series of five technical working papers which detail the development and selection of the recommended IMP. These papers were revised as of May 1990 and are bound as Appendices to this document. They were prepared by Delcan Corporation and are as follows: (1) Assessment of Incident Response Needs; (2) Review of Current Agency Activities; (3) Review of Incident Management Experience Elsewhere; (4) Analysis of Incident Management Scenarios; and (5) The Towing Services Contract.
Ontario Ministry of Transportation1201 Wilson Avenue
Downsview, Ontario Canada M3M 1J8
- Publication Date: 1991-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Benefits; Disasters and emergency operations; Freeways; Highway operations; Highway traffic control; Implementation; Management; Planning; Traffic; Traffic incidents
- Uncontrolled Terms: Emergency response; Incidents
- Geographic Terms: Toronto (Canada)
- Old TRIS Terms: Strategy
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Research; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00624811
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 20 1993 12:00AM