REVISION OF HIGHWAY SAFETY PROGRAM STANDARDS
A procedure has been initated which may lead to a major revision in 14 Highway Safety Program Standards. These standards which were issued in 1966 deal with periodic motor vehicle inspection, motor vehicle registration, motorcycle safety, driver education, driver licensing, traffic codes and laws, traffic courts, alcohol in relation to highway safety, traffic records, emergency medical services, pedestrian safety, police traffic services, pupil transportation safety, and accident investigation and reporting. Some states have pointed out that the current standards are too rigid, and do not enable them to deal effectively with localized problems. It is one of the major goals of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) to redesign the standards so they are more performance oriented, and are consistent with the fundamental requirements of a national program. The NHTSA'S new approach would consist of 2 basic elements. The first element would include minimum performance requirements for all states. The second element would contain a number of discretionary components which would enable a state to tailor a special program for its needs.
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-1-23
- Pagination: 2 p.
- Department of Transportation news
- Publisher: Department of Transportation
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Crash reports; Disasters and emergency operations; Driver licensing; Driver training; Hazards and emergency operations; Highway safety; Inspection; Medical services; Motor vehicles; Motorcycles; Pedestrians; Police; Records management; Registrations; Safety; School children; Standards; Traffic courts; Traffic engineering; Traffic regulations; Traffic safety; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Child safety; Traffic laws; Traffic records
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Law; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00131068
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NHTSA-8-76(BAB)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 21 1976 12:00AM