ENERGY AND TRANSPORTATION IN CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

The transportation consumption of petroleum fuels in Canada and U.S. is analyzed and the fuel savings which could be realized through the use of more economical cars and through partial shift of automobile, air and truck traffic to rail and urban transit, are evaluated. They amount to 32% of energy and oil used in transportation. Through partial electrification of intercity rail, and urban auto, transit and truck traffic, the oil consumption could be reduced by a further 25%. The total saving of 57% in transportation corresponds to one-fifth of the total consumption of oil in Canada. The extra demand for electrical energy required for electric traction is evaluated; for electrification to be completed over a period of 20 years, the annual rate of growth of electrical energy production would have to increase by 1% p.a. (from 7% p.a. to 8% p.a.) In view of the increasing scarcity of oil, the railway share of traffic should be augmented, and modernization of North American Rail is necessary to achieve this desirable change. Rail modernization is contingent on the density of traffic. The traffic density distribution on Canadian and U.S. railroads compares favorably with that on other electrified systems and thus electrification of main lines in N. America appears practical. The required extra electrical generating capacity is a small fraction of the demand by other users. The rationalization of intercity passenger traffic in N. America is contingent on improvement of the quality of railway services. The deficiencies of the latter in Canada and U.S. are evaluated and the relationship between service quality and passenger traffic share is demonstrated. The major deficiencies of the current regulation of railways in Canada are identified. It is suggested that replacement of the present legislation is a necessary first step toward modernization of railway transportation in Canada.

  • Corporate Authors:

    Planning Transport Associates, Incorporated

    P.O. Box 4824, Duke Station
    Durham, NC  United States  27706
  • Authors:
    • LUKASIEWICZ, J
  • Publication Date: 1975-9

Media Info

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00131035
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: High Speed Ground Transportation Journal
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Apr 21 1976 12:00AM