GENERAL ESTIMATES SYSTEM 1991. A REVIEW OF INFORMATION ON POLICE-REPORTED TRAFFIC CRASHES IN THE UNITED STATES
This is the fourth annual report of overall crash statistics produced from data collected by the General Estimates System (GES). This report presents estimates of selected national characteristics about the estimated 6,110,000 police-reported motor vehicle traffic crashes that occurred in the United States in 1991. While the data presented are not intended to be an exhaustive look at every aspect of crashes, they are an overview of many of the factors involved in the Nation's crashes. The GES obtains its data from a nationally representative probability sample selected from all police-reported crashes that occur annually. These crashes include those which result in a fatality or injury and those involving major property damage. The data presented in this report are arranged in four sections. Section 1, TRENDS, presents data from all years of GES: 1988 through 1991. Section 2, CRASHES, describes general characteristics of crashes such as when and how often did crashes occur, where did crashes occur, and what happened during the crash. Section 3, VEHICLES, concentrates on the types of vehicles involved in crashes, their action prior to a crash, and the damage to the vehicle caused by the crash. Section 4, PEOPLE, presents statistics about drivers, passengers, pedestrians and pedalcyclists, including age, sex, alcohol involvement and injury severity.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1992
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 166 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Automobiles by type; Crash data; Cyclists; Drivers; Drunk driving; Fatalities; Gender; Injuries; Injury severity; Loss and damage; Passengers; Pedestrians; Property; Statistics; Traffic crashes; Trend (Statistics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Property damage; Vehicle type
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Passenger Transportation; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment; I80: Accident Studies; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00629161
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 27 1993 12:00AM