TRUCKS INVOLVED IN FATAL ACCIDENTS. CODEBOOK 1990 (VERSION JULY 23, 1992)
This report provides weighted and unweighted one-way frequencies for all the vehicles in UMTRI's file of Trucks Involved in Fatal Accidents, 1990. This file combines the coverage of the Fatal Accident Reporting System (FARS) data with the detail of the Office of Motor Carriers (OMC) data. Where no OMC report could be found for a medium or heavy truck listed by FARS, UMTRI conducted a survey, by telephone interview, to obtain the desired information on ownership, type of trip, vehicle configuration, cargo weights, and lengths. Some sampling was done in selecting the cases for interview. Half the cases were sampled where the FARS body type and vehicle trailering variables indicated the vehicle was a straight truck or a tractor with one trailer. All other cases that could not be matched with an OMC report were selected for interview. The sampling has only a neglibible effect on the accuracy of population estimates derived from the file. Tractors accounted for 68.2% of the power units. Tractors with twin trailers made up only 3.9% of the involvements. Only 22.5% of the accidents occurred on Interstate highways. Night and twilight comprised 34.9% of the accidents. This dataset has 5,003 cases, down 5.4% from 5,288 last year.
- Sponsored by the Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association.
University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute2901 Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109-2150
- Sullivan, K P
- Blower, D
- Pettis, L
- Publication Date: 1992-8
- Pagination: 123 p.
- TRT Terms: Fatalities; Heavy vehicles; Medium trucks; Night; Tractor trailer combinations; Trucks; Twilight
- Identifier Terms: Fatal Accident Reporting System; Interstate Highway System
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00629016
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTRI-92-27
- Contract Numbers: 2164
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 10 1993 12:00AM