TRUCKS INVOLVED IN FATAL ACCIDENTS, 1989. FACTBOOK
This report contains a series of distributions of variables from UMTRI's file of Trucks Involved in Fatal Accidents, 1989. This file combines the coverage of the Fatal Accident Reporting System (FARS) data with the detail of the Office of Motor Carriers (OMC) data. When no OMC report existed for a medium or heavy truck listed by FARS, UMTRI conducted a telephone interview to obtain the desired information on ownership, type of trip, vehicle configuration, cargo weights, and lengths. The 1989 TIFA dataset contains 5,288 cases, down 3.3% from the 5,467 in 1988. Following an introductory section on the TIFA survey procedure, a trend section tracks the incidence of large truck fatal involvements in 1989, with most of the distributions presented on the basis of power unit type, comparing straight trucks with tractor combinations. Most of the variables in the overview section are based on the FARS file variables and describe basic information on the time and place of the accident, environmental conditions, and collision type. Following this are a pair of sections that focus separately on straight trucks and tractor combinations in more detail, with the distributions presented on the basis of cargo body style. The majority of the variables in these sections were derived from telephone interviews and OMC reports and describe the cargo type, cab style, vehicle weight, and trailer and axle configurations of the trucks. The final section compares the fatal accident experience of tractor-semitrailers with that of tractors with twin trailers.
- Sponsoring Agency: Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association.
University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute2901 Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109-2150
- Sullivan, K P
- Massie, D L
- Publication Date: 1992-10
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Fatalities; Heavy vehicles; Medium trucks; Statistics; Tractor trailer combinations; Trucks
- Identifier Terms: Fatal Accident Reporting System
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00629013
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTRI-92-19
- Contract Numbers: 3164
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 10 1993 12:00AM