IVHS STRATEGIC PLAN: REPORT TO CONGRESS
The purpose of this 72 page Report to Congress by the Secretary of Transportation is to set forth and describe the Department of Transportation's programs and program delivery processes for supporting the development and deployment of intelligent vehicle highway system (IVHS) technologies and services in the United States. The report was forwarded to the Congress pursuant to Section 6054(a) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (ISTEA). That Section requires the Secretary to develop a plan that: specifies the goals, objectives, and milestones of the IVHS program and how specific projects relate to these; details the nontechnical constraints facing the program; establishes a course of action necessary to achieve the program's goals and objectives; provides for the development of standards and protocols to ensure compatibility in the implementation of IVHS technoligies; and provides for the accelerated use of advanced technology to improve safety on all roads and to reduce traffic congestion along heavily populated and traveled corridors.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Card Jr, A H
- Publication Date: 1992-12-1
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Advanced public transportation systems; Automated highway systems; Future; Ground transportation; Highway traffic control; Intelligent transportation systems; Intermodal transportation; Public private partnerships; Strategic planning; Transportation modes; Vision
- Identifier Terms: Advanced Public Transportation Systems Program
- Old TRIS Terms: Smart intermodal system
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00628141
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/FTA-TTS-30-92-1
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 19 1996 12:00AM