MEASUREMENT OF TIRE FOOTPRINT PRESSURES. FINAL REPORT
A triaxial load pin array for measuring tire footprint pressures was recently purchased by the Texas Transportation Institute (TTI). This report describes TTI's initial experience and results obtained with the array during a 3 month summer period in 1992. Footprint pressure distributions were measured for two highway-type radial truck tires (a conventional single and a wide base single) and a smooth tread truck tire. The data obtained compare well with footprint pressures measured at the University of Texas, Cooper Tire Company, and Goodyear Tire Company. Data showing the effects of tire inflation pressure and tire load on footprint pressure are included in the report.
- Research study title: Using the Multidepth Deflectometer to Study Tire Pressure and Dynamic Load Effects on Pavements.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- TIELKING, J T
- Abraham, M A
- Publication Date: 1992-9
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: Data analysis; Inflation; Mathematical analysis; Measuring instruments; Pressure; Tire pressure; Tires; Trucks; Wheel base
- Uncontrolled Terms: Contact pressure; Pressure distribution; Wide base tires
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Motor Carriers; Pavements; Vehicles and Equipment; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I90: Vehicles;
- Accession Number: 00627085
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-92/1184-3F, Res Rept 1184-3F, TTI: 2-18-89-1184
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-18-89-1184
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 16 1996 12:00AM