LOCAL GOVERNMENT GUIDE TO GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS: PLANNING AND IMPLEMENTATION
This guide identifies and examines the policy, management, and technology issues that must be addressed by local governments when planning and implementing a geographic information system (GIS). Chapter One, Geographic Information Systems in Local Government, defines GIS, discusses GIS objectives and its cost benefit justification, and provides a summary of critical success factors. Chapter Two, Policy Issues and Implications, addresses critical questions that policy makers can use to guide their GIS teams in the planning and implementation process, such as the scope and ownership of the GIS, public access to GIS information, and funding sources. Chapter Three, Management Issues in Planning and Implementation, examines conceptualizing the system, steps in GIS planning and procurement, and installation. Chapter Four, Technological Issues, provides an overview of technological issues from the management perspective. Chapter Five, Future GIS Trends, gives an overview of major events occurring within the industry and with GIS users, both public and private, discusses hardware and software developments that can be anticipated during the 1990s, and concludes with some summary thoughts as to how local government might best prepare to shape and share the future of GIS.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/9873269195
Public Technology, Incorporated1301 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20004
- Publication Date: 1991
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 139 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Building; Facilities; Finance; Financing; Geographic information systems; Implementation; Installation; Local government; Management; Planning; Policy; Procurement; Software; Strategic planning; Technology; Trend (Statistics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hardware
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Construction; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Research; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00627007
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 9873269195
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 4 1993 12:00AM