GUIDELINES ON THE USE AND OPERATION OF CHANGEABLE MESSAGE SIGNS. INTERIM REPORT
This report is intended to be a primer on the characteristics that affect the design, use and operations of changeable message signs (CMSs), and to provide guidance on the selection of the appropriate type of CMS display. Guidelines on the selection and design of CMS messages are presented in a companion report, Report No. FHWA/TX-92/1232-10 entitled "Guidelines on the Selection and Design of Messages for Changeable Message Signs". This report is an update and consolidation of the following reports: (1) C.L. Dudek and R.D. Huchingson, "Manual on Real-Time Motorist Information Displays", FHWA-IP-86-16, August 1986; (2) C.L. Dudek, "Guidelines on the Use of Changeable Message Signs", FHWA-TS-90-043, May 1991; and (3) C.L. Dudek, "Portable Changeable Message Signs at Work Zones", FHWA/TX-85/07+292-4, July 1984.
- Research study title: Urban Highway Operations Research and Implementation Program.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Dudek, C L
- Publication Date: 1992-11
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Guidelines; Legibility; Location; Utilization; Variable message signs; Visibility; Work zone traffic control
- Uncontrolled Terms: Selecting
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00626967
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-92/1232-9, Res Rept 1232-9, TTI: 2-18-90/4-1232
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-18-90/4-1232
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 1 1996 12:00AM